Call Today For A Free Case Evaluation

(815) 726-7375


Driving privileges mark the touchstone of productivity for many people. Depending on where you live, it may be more practical to drive to work or to run various errands, especially if you have children to transport.  When you lose your license due to a DUI or DWI, you will have to go through a process to have your license reinstated.  You will need help during this process and should contact a local criminal defense attorney to help you reinstate your license.

After your license has been revoked, your only avenue for relief is through the Secretary of State.  The Secretary of State’s Department of Administrative Hearings will be able to hear your plea for driving privileges.


There are two types of hearings that you may have access to, depending on the number of your offenses; you may request either a formal or informal hearing. For those with only one DUI arrest, you will be able to have an informal or formal hearing.  For those who have had two or more DUI arrests, you will be required to request a formal hearing.

An informal hearing does not require an appointment and are held on a first come, first served basis.  At the informal hearing, the hearing officer, yourself, and your attorney are present.  After the hearing, your hearing officer explains their decision in a letter.  If you disagree with the hearing officer’s decision, you may request another one after 30 days.

If you want to have a formal hearing, you must submit a written request to the office of the Secretary of State.  Within 14 days, you should receive a hearing notice with the details of the time and date of the hearing you have requested. The hearing will be 90 days or less from the date you requested it.  In addition to having a hearing scheduled, you will be assigned a hearing officer who will officiate your case within 90 days of the hearing.  If your hearing officer chooses to deny your request for driving privileges, they will explain the reason for the denial and provide instructions to help you understand how to rectify the reasons for their denial.  If you disagree with the outcome of the hearing, you are able to request another; you can only have a formal hearing every three months. During the hearing, the attorney for the Secretary of State and the hearing officer will both question you about your past and any drug and alcohol use.

An attorney can help save you time and effort.  An experienced legal advocate can craft a case that help you get it right the first time, so that you do not have to wait another 3 months after a denial to request another hearing.  You will not have to worry about feeling like you are chasing a goal that is unattainable.  For the best help in Illinois, contact The Law Offices of Eugene Fimbianti, P.C. for seasoned and knowledgeable help with reinstating your license.